Monday, September 10, 2012

Get well soon...

I've been trying to get over some sinus junk my kiddos shared with me.  They got over it rather quickly, but mine has settled in for the long haul, leaving me achey and very tired (this is the 2nd illness I've had this summer...me who never hardly gets sick...).  Friday evening  I decided to make up a batch of Elderberry Syrup.  It is supposed to be a good support to the immune system. We'll see.  You can find it in the stores, labeled Sambucol, but it's very expensive.  I buy the dried berries from my local co-op and store them in the freezer.  They special order them from Frontier for me.



Here's my loosely followed recipe:

Elderberry Syrup

1 cup dried Elderberries
2 cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
2 Tbsp minced ginger
3 cups water
1/2-1 cup honey (base on taste; I don't like it overly sweet.)

Place dried Elderberries and water in a pot and bring to boil.  Turn down heat and simmer for about 20 min with cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger.  After simmering is done, strain the mixture and reserve liquid. Press down firmly on mixture to be sure and get all the juice out.  Return to rinsed pot and simmer over low heat for about 20-25 minutes or until liquid has reduced about 1" (I probably had about 1 1/2 cups of syrup).  Add honey and stir to dissolve.  Store in refrigerator.  This will keep for up to 2 weeks.

Take 1-2 Tbsp daily for maintenance.
Take 3-5 Tbsp when you're feeling like you are coming down with something.

Namaste, keep well!
I'm starting back into my yoga routines and tea drinking.
Germs BEWARE!

And by the way,
in case you've noticed...
my daughter has claimed a board of her own on my Pinterest account
and is avidly pinning chocolate & peanut butter recipes LOL!!
Whew...and baby stuff...so, NO I'm not pregnant!!
(oh, and she isn't either!  She loves babies and anything baby related so she is likely
already planning out her own baby nursery for some day!)

5 comments:

Jane said...

hope you feel better soon x

Melissa said...

Good stuff!! :) I've been trying to plan our "ounce of prevention" with fall/winter arriving!

Too funny about the Pinterest board! I can just see her doing this! LOL!

Melissa said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Alison said...

Hope you're on the mend!
Alison xx

Bethaney said...

Great recipe to have! Does it help you feel better?
And who wouldn't love PB/Choc things? :-)