Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cultivating a grateful heart, week 2

Proverbs 15:15,
All the days of the afflicted are evil:  but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.

Lately that verse has meant SO much to me.


I made this art journal page with some SU inks and stamps.
I used a sponge and stipple brush and then a paper towel roll to make the circles!  Been seeing that around the net and couldn't wait to try it out!  Works pretty slick.

I still haven't settled on and been happy with the two art journals I've tried.
What kind of art journal do you have?

So this week's heart happy moments:

Yoga.  I'm back at it and even tried some heart-opening yoga.  Seems strange that something done from the outside can affect your heart inside.  But it can and does.  When you are breathing, you focus on the heart and with each breath open that area up.  And for me, opening up means letting go, so that has been helping that whole process too!  As I feel my body letting go in various relaxing poses, I tell myself that is what my mind and heart needs to do.  Let go.

Baking with the kids.  Not something I do a lot b/c I don't seem to have patience for it, but yesterday the kids had early release from school, so I asked DD2 to pick out a cookie recipe from Pinterest.  She chose Oatmeal Raisin.  Huh?  Doesn't sound like a choice of any daughter of mine LOL...I'm a chocoholic.

Careful and prayerful.  My human nature is quite strong and sometimes my thoughts and things I want to express can be quite strong too.  I needed to write an email and needed to feel an inner calm to be able to do it.  I'm thankful I knew where to go to get that calm and direction.  I'm a "jump in with both feet" chic, and so when I want to fix something, sometimes I just jump right in and say stuff without thinking.  I'm learning that's not wise.  Because then your words don't come out right.  And this was a situation I definitely didn't want to make worse.

Massage.  More letting go, need I say more?

A deep sigh of relief.  A special friendship made whole again!  Communication, understanding.  Open and honest with our feelings.  Tears and relief.  Smiles and joy.  Lessons learned.

Next up, I'm reading a book Ali Edwards suggested in one of her creative email newsletters.  I  have really enjoyed it in relation to why I can't make more time to create.  I'll be back with my thoughts about it.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a wonderful uplifting post. I haven't tried the paper towel roll for stamping - will have to do that soon as the next roll is empty.