It's a month of fun times for our family with a couple of birthdays and spring break relaxing. A couple of days for the kids and a whole week for DH. We've got some fun outings already planned.
On to the OLW blog hop,
If you have arrived here from Dawn's blog, you are in the right place. If you get lost along the way, there is a full participant list at the bottom of my post.
It's being a bit trickier to grasp than my OLW last year, mindfulness. I still find myself being more mindful as I seek to cultivate things in my life, so really, mindfulness is still very much with me in this new journey. Thank goodness for old friends!
Like I knew I would find, I have lots of things to keep busy cultivating and I'm not sure yet how to balance everything. I'm liking the word less as my 2nd "go with" word. It just seems to be always coming to mind when I think about my OLW cultivate.
What do I do that I love?
What do I do just b/c everyone else is doing it?
What am I doing that I don't really love?
What, what, what!
So here are my photos and some further explanation of what I'm dealing with!
I tried to capture all of the things I desire to cultivate or keep cultivating in my life.
1. Cooking/Baking: A BIG area of my life. As a SAHM, I see it as one of my most important jobs to feed my family well. We eat a lot of homemade, from-scratch foods. Yes, I cheat now and then and use a mix or something, but I try not to do it too often. DH plants a beautiful, big vegetable garden every summer and we all work at it together. There is nothing like fresh produce, although I will admit the canning and preserving part is not my favorite. It's a LOT of work, but it does taste so good in the middle of the winter. So this shouldn't be #1 (although these photos are in no specific order) b/c it's not a troublesome area for me to cultivate happily.
2. Singing. This was a goal I had for the new year. To sing more. I love to sing. We love to sing as a family. I wanted to sing 15 min every day this year. It hasn't happened, although we do sing as a family a few nights a week, or at the very least on Saturday and Sunday evenings. My singing needs more cultivating.
3. Project Life. Another big part of my life. Love this daily project. Last year was my first year and I have three full albums for 2011. Every time, yes, every time, I dust the shelves they are on, I'm filled with joy seeing those three black albums FULL of life and fun that we had last year.
4. Exercise. I love to workout. Love getting a good sweat going. It feels SO good. This year I've been working out harder and more regularly and feeling the reward of it. Feeling stronger mentally and physically.
Losing weight and inches off this bod of mine.
Losing weight and inches off this bod of mine.
5. Good fruits. The fruit of the Spirit. A big area to cultivate that brings such a deep sense of peace and joy. Last September I made a goal to visit our dear shut-in friends. I was doing really good, but then we all were sick. I was sick. The holidays came. But now we are well. The holidays are gone. And it's time to get back into the swing of visiting and caring.
One person a week was my goal whenever possible. I take care of my dad. He lives on his own still, but after my mom passed away almost three years ago, he's been lonely. So I see him once if not more times a week. But if we're not running to doctors in any given week, I have time to visit others.
6. Eating well. Since I joined MyFitnessPal at the beginning of the year, I've been making better choices with food. I've realized just how many calories eating out gives you. Way too many. I was eating out a lot. Here and there whenever I would go to town. A latte here and there. Yikes. Treats were becoming not so much of a treat, but an everyday occurrence.
And the optimal fruit and veggie servings per day? Not even hardly on the radar! I'm enjoying Cathy's Move More, Eat Well class immensely. I'm hosting a monthly link up party on my blog for it. I don't have time to give to a monthly blog hop (Thank you Margie for all your efforts that go into our OLW one here!!), so every month around the 2nd or 3rd, I'll post my monthly recap and then allow you to link up to your blog post. I announce when the post is live over in the BPC class forum.
7. Sewing. Hmm, not sure if this is something I really want to cultivate or not. I'm undecided at this point. My daughter and I have taken several classes, and while it's been fun, I'm frequently finding myself wishing I could scrap or stamp instead of sew. So maybe I'll just keep the sewing to fun, easy half-day crafty type projects and not quilts (which is an expensive hobby all of it's own I'm finding...).
8. Soap making. I love making soap. It's fun and easy and makes super gifts! I need to make time to sit down and get some more recipes gathered. I need to make a green, balsam pine scented batch real soon for a birthday present for DH. It's a bit of an expensive hobby too, but a batch typically makes lots and it's a fast, rewarding project.
9. All things ink & paper. Totally where I love to be cultivating!! With my internet buddies right nearby on the computer screen! Again, an expensive hobby, but with the word "less" as my secondary word, I've not bought a thing this year!! I don't surf the internet much. Don't go to sites that I know have product I love. I do have a trip to Archiver's planned in March, but I have been dutifully saving $ for that trip. Then it's back to saving and using what I have. Planned is OK (like I really want to buy the Cameo Silhouette...do you have one? Love it?). Spending just for comfort or b/c of procrastination or hunger or boredom or you name it is NOT ok.
As you can see, I have plenty to be working on.
I made myself another OLW pillow and it's on a table near my
"quiet" corner for me to see every morning and night.
"What will I cultivate today?" " How?"
"What have I cultivated today?"
A good reminder for myself.
I also made a bookmark and my usual Scrabble art to set in my kitchen for more daily reminders!
We didn't have the best light yesterday...that's what I get for some last minute project work!
And just so you know, I'm cultivating imperfection too LOL!!
I got all done laminating and then saw the Bazzill sticker on the back...
Now please head on over to Becky's blog.
I stopped by the other day and was thrilled to find some great Project Life inspiration!!
March OLW Blog Participant List:
Melissa S http://blog.mshanhun.com
Melissa C www.smudgetime.com
Heidi D http://mommy.heidimdavis.com/
Jen R http://jenritchie.com
Orange Gearle orangegearle.blogspot.com