Thursday, March 1, 2012

OLW February Blog Hop, Cultivate

Nihao, Cupcake! Blog


Welcome March!!
It's a month of fun times for our family with a couple of birthdays and spring break relaxing. A couple of days for the kids and a whole week for DH.  We've got some fun outings already planned.

On to the OLW blog hop,

If you have arrived here from Dawn's blog, you are in the right place.  If you get lost along the way, there is a full participant list at the bottom of my post.

Cultivate.
It's being a bit trickier to grasp than my OLW last year, mindfulness. I still find myself being more mindful as I seek to cultivate things in my life, so really, mindfulness is still very much with me in this new journey.  Thank goodness for old friends!

Like I knew I would find, I have lots of things to keep busy cultivating and I'm not sure yet how to balance everything.  I'm liking the word less as my 2nd "go with" word.  It just seems to be always coming to mind when I think about my OLW cultivate.

What do I do that I love?
What do I do just b/c everyone else is doing it?
What am I doing that I don't really love?
What, what, what!

So here are my photos and some further explanation of what I'm dealing with!


I tried to capture all of the things I desire to cultivate or keep cultivating in my life.

1.  Cooking/Baking:  A BIG area of my life.  As a SAHM, I see it as one of my most important jobs to feed my family well.  We eat a lot of homemade, from-scratch foods. Yes, I cheat now and then and use a mix or something, but I try not to do it too often.  DH plants a beautiful, big vegetable garden every summer and we all work at it together.  There is nothing like fresh produce, although I will admit the canning and preserving part is not my favorite.  It's a LOT of work, but it does taste so good in the middle of the winter.  So this shouldn't be #1 (although these photos are in no specific order) b/c it's not a troublesome area for me to cultivate happily.

2.  Singing.  This was a goal I had for the new year.  To sing more.  I love to sing.  We love to sing as a family.  I wanted to sing 15 min every day this year.  It hasn't happened, although we do sing as a family a few nights a week, or at the very least on Saturday and Sunday evenings.  My singing needs more cultivating.

3.  Project Life.  Another big part of my life.  Love this daily project.  Last year was my first year and I have three full albums for 2011.  Every time, yes, every time, I dust the shelves they are on, I'm filled with joy seeing those three black albums FULL of life and fun that we had last year.

4.  Exercise.  I love to workout.  Love getting a good sweat going.  It feels SO good.  This year I've been working out harder and more regularly and feeling the reward of it.  Feeling stronger mentally and physically.
Losing weight and inches off this bod of mine.

5.  Good fruits.  The fruit of the Spirit.  A big area to cultivate that brings such a deep sense of peace and joy.  Last September I made a goal to visit our dear shut-in friends.  I was doing really good, but then we all were sick.  I was sick.  The holidays came.  But now we are well.  The holidays are gone.  And it's time to get back into the swing of visiting and caring.
One person a week was my goal whenever possible. I take care of my dad.  He lives on his own still, but after my mom passed away almost three years ago, he's been lonely.  So I see him once if not more times a week.  But if we're not running to doctors in any given week, I have time to visit others.

6.  Eating well.  Since I joined MyFitnessPal at the beginning of the year, I've been making better choices with food.  I've realized just how many calories eating out gives you.  Way too many.  I was eating out a lot.  Here and there whenever I would go to town.  A latte here and there.  Yikes.  Treats were becoming not so much of a treat, but an everyday occurrence.  
And the optimal fruit and veggie servings per day?  Not even hardly on the radar!  I'm enjoying Cathy's Move More, Eat Well class immensely.  I'm hosting a monthly link up party on my blog for it.  I don't have time to give to a monthly blog hop (Thank you Margie for all your efforts that go into our OLW one here!!), so every month around the 2nd or 3rd, I'll post my monthly recap and then allow you to link up to your blog post.  I announce when the post is live over in the BPC class forum.

7.  Sewing.  Hmm, not sure if this is something I really want to cultivate or not.  I'm undecided at this point.  My daughter and I have taken several classes, and while it's been fun, I'm frequently finding myself wishing I could scrap or stamp instead of sew.  So maybe I'll just keep the sewing to fun, easy half-day crafty type projects and not quilts (which is an expensive hobby all of it's own I'm finding...).

8.  Soap making.  I love making soap.  It's fun and easy and makes super gifts!  I need to make time to sit down and get some more recipes gathered.  I need to make a green, balsam pine scented batch real soon for a birthday present for DH.  It's a bit of an expensive hobby too, but a batch typically makes lots and it's a fast, rewarding project.

9.  All things ink & paper.  Totally where I love to be cultivating!!  With my internet buddies right nearby on the computer screen!  Again, an expensive hobby, but with the word "less" as my secondary word, I've not bought a thing this year!!  I don't surf the internet much.  Don't go to sites that I know have product I love.  I do have a trip to Archiver's planned in March, but I have been dutifully saving $ for that trip.  Then it's back to saving and using what I have.  Planned is OK (like I really want to buy the Cameo Silhouette...do you have one?  Love it?).  Spending just for comfort or b/c of procrastination or hunger or boredom or you name it is NOT ok.

As you can see, I have plenty to be working on.

I made myself another OLW pillow and it's on a table near my 
"quiet" corner for me to see every morning and night.

"What will I cultivate today?" " How?"
"What have I cultivated today?"
A good reminder for myself.


I also made a bookmark and my usual Scrabble art to set in my kitchen for more daily reminders!
We didn't have the best light yesterday...that's what I get for some last minute project work!



And just so you know, I'm cultivating imperfection too LOL!!
I got all done laminating and then saw the Bazzill sticker on the back...

Now please head on over to Becky's blog.
I stopped by the other day and was thrilled to find some great Project Life inspiration!!

March OLW Blog Participant List:

Margie            http://xnomads.typepad.com
Melissa S         http://blog.mshanhun.com
Sharyn            http://LaVieEnChic.com
Kimberlee         http://scrapsandsass.blogspot.com
Jill              http://jillconyers.com/
Cheri             http://cheriandrews.blogspot.com
Cindy             www.cynthiacrysdale.com
Jenn              www.studiojenn.blogspot.com
Monica            http://scrapinspired.com/
Catherine         http://myview-catherine.blogspot.com/
Naomi             http://poeticaperture.com/
Jamie              jmpgirl.blogspot.com
Coley              www.coleybelle.blogspot.com
Melissa C          www.smudgetime.com
Donna              http://holimess.blogspot.com/
Veronica           www.veronicanorris.typepad.com
Heidi D            http://mommy.heidimdavis.com/
Lisa               http://backtoallen.com/category/one-little-word/
Nikki              www.inkyart.com.au
Devon              http://www.youhadmeatneurotic.com
Amanda             http://scrappnbee.blogspot.com
Brooklyn           www.everysnapshot.com
Jen R              http://jenritchie.com
Kara               http://iwannabemewhenigrowup.blogspot.com
Eydie              www.whatwecreate.net
Ruth               http://suburbansahm.blogspot.com
Missus W           http://www.mrswookieswanderings.blogspot.com/
Marilee            http://rose-brier.blogspot.com
Cindy              http://seriousplay.typepad.com
Kaylea             http://www.myscrappylife.com
Dawn G             www.sunshineandcreativity.com
Becky              www.becky-handforth.blogspot.com
Orange Gearle      orangegearle.blogspot.com
Katrina            www.katrinasimeck.com
Jo                 http://www.mrsbeee.blogspot.com
Nicky              Www.seejanebake.blogspot.com
Beth               www.thesingularlyordinary.blogspot.com
Kelly              http://mindingmynest.com
Tere               http://terecontodomicorazon.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful, Rebekah! Your word is really coming alive! Love all the little extra projects you make to go along with your word each year! :)

Missus Wookie said...

Love that scrabble artwork - hmm may have to go looking for an old set to purloin ;)

I liked seeing what each photo stood for - always neat understanding the choices.

Cynthia said...

Thank you for sharing so much Rebekah! I love your photo collage and the accompanying words. Cultivate is a great word and the ways in which you are doing this are wonderful (I do get you on the sewing thing! I would say persevere). Your pillow at the end is awesome!

Stacy@{ShareandRemember} said...

You're working on lots of great things! I wish I had time to focus on some things like this. I don't now but maybe someday! BIG maybe!

Stacy@{ShareandRemember} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kelly said...

love all the creative ways you're bringing your word to life. :) looking forward to hearing more about it. love, kelly

ScrappnBee said...

Thanks for visiting! I loved your post today! I have the universe's biggest black thumb, so I would never dare to chose that word. So...you rock! LOL! Good luck with your OLW in March! -Amanda

Coley said...

I think you are doing a great job with the word thus far. The photos are awesome and the things you have created to remind yourself of the word are great. Love the scrabble art! I think I need to get my hands on some scrabble tiles and do something similar. Having reminders of your word around your house is a great idea - think I might have to do that myself.

Ruth said...

Cultivation is strong in your household, I would say. Love the scrabble art work.

Nikki said...

Love your photos and your comments. I have only stuck to OLW because we have the hop and I was wondering about a hop for MMEW - I'll pop back and see if I can link an update - that'll keep me on the straight and narrow - and my goodness me I need to be kept in line LOL x

Nikki said...

Love your photos and your comments. I have only stuck to OLW because we have the hop and I was wondering about a hop for MMEW - I'll pop back and see if I can link an update - that'll keep me on the straight and narrow - and my goodness me I need to be kept in line LOL x

Misti said...

Fabulous, Rebekah!!! I really enjoyed reading your post. :D

Naomi said...

Rebekah, I am very impressed that you are going to focus on what you love doing and eliminate the other things as much as possible. Why don't I do that!??!??

LOVE the scrabble art... I'm going to make that TODAY and keep it on the kitchen windowsill as a constant reminder. Thank you for the inspiration.

Donna said...

Your post is beautiful Rebekah. Your word is coming alive in your life. Cultivate is such a great word. Your pillow is a beautiful reminder. I think soap making just sounds incredible. Green and balsam would be wonderful.

Sharyn said...

Love how you are cultivating imperfection...fabulous! Your crafty reminders of your word are great and I enjoyed your run down on your words. You really thought it all through well.

orange gearle said...

Love your craftiness with your word this month! Awesome!

Rose Brier Studio said...

Rebekah, You are cultivating so many wonderful things in your life. Wow! I'm going to make a scrabble piece as a reminder too, great idea!

Thanks so much for your supportive comments on my post.
~Marilee

Catherine said...

Oh what a lovely post Rebekah. Your photos of your OLW are wonderful, as are you sweet words.
Thank you
Catherine

Melissa said...

Wow, you are certainly doing well planning out your goals & beginning to cultivate those things that are important. I like the idea of visiting someone each week. This semester I'm mentoring two teenage girls from our church, so that's keeping me busy.

I haven't done much with the Move More Eat Well workshop; I can't seem to get into it - the message boards are just too much information & not all of it healthy. I am back on track with my exercise & eating this month. I'm looking forward to your MMEW update & seeing how the class is working for others.

Kimberlee Gerstmann said...

Great group of photos and what a terrific bunch of projects you've created to embrace your word. Congrats! :)

And I'm totally envious of you filling three binders with your 2011 Project Life. I'm still stuck on this year's Week 2, but I'm not giving up yet. :D

Thanks for sharing.