Thursday, February 2, 2012

Move More, Eat Well, January recap

Wow, what a month!  I've lost 5.6 lbs and a total of 7.25" all over my bod.  This is HUGE for me.  I've not been able to lose weight for several years now.  Been a slow, but steady gain.  Not huge amounts, but none-the-less, gains.  I started using myfitnesspal.com on January 5, 2012 and haven't looked back.  It was quite an eye opener to see how much I must have been eating before I started in on this eating well journey.  I was still going over in calories at first, so that is what opened my eyes to how much I must have been over-eating when I was constantly grazing on sugar and chocolate!  Now I've cut out anytime daytime treats, leaving it to savor after supper.  Did you know 1 Hershey Kiss can be delicious and fulfilling?  I read this book, When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair by Geneen Roth.  She mentions having the audience at one of her seminars eat one kiss, telling them to enjoy the whole process.  Some said that was all they needed and were shocked.  Others thought it was too waxy and didn't want to waste calories on them again.  But I had the shocked, satisfied response!  Yes, you heard me right...ONE. KISS. TASTES. SO. GOOD. and is completely satisfying!!  I used to inhale a 1/2  bag or so and still not be satisfied...but I wasn't savoring them or enjoying the process.


Another improvement for me, I'm eating more healthy protein.  This book also noted some symptoms of low protein in our diets.  One of them is craving sweets. That I'm proving.  Another is hair loss.  I'm thrilled to note that I'm not losing as much hair in my brush now.  I've been losing gobs of hair when I brush my long, thick hair out after a shower.  The dr. ran tests at my yearly check-up and nothing was amiss, but it still concerned me.  I blamed it on aging.  But it was really due to poor diet.  The lack of hair loss has just been noticed in the last week or so!  Cottage cheese is an excellent form of protein.  I eat it for breakfast even.  String cheese is a favorite snack with some raw veggies.

I'm moving more.   But I've been sick twice in January now with sinus junk.  So I finally had to back off a little and give myself a rest day or two a week.  It's really hard for me.  I LOVE working out and thankful for that mindset blessing, but it makes it hard to take a day off.  I feel so lazy...

My "one thing" to work on was a more established early and relaxing bedtime routine.  It's been challenging to get in every night with a DD with sleep issues, but for the most part I've succeeded with my goal.  It simply makes a HUGE difference in how I feel.  More rested, less moody, less cravings for junk, less irritable and just more calm and peaceful all the way around.

So, what are your successes from January?
How did your "one thing" goal work for you?

Here are the layouts from January,






Please feel free to link up with your blog post .
(please make sure it's a direct link to your post, not your entire blog)

The link party will be open from today until March 1st.
This will be a monthly occurrence.
I will remind everyone in the MMEW BPC forum.
Thanks for stopping by!


10 comments:

mollymoo951 said...

I enjoyed reading your story. YAY you! So proud of you!

elinjanne said...

You are doing good!
Thanks for sharing your story.
-elin-

Melissa said...

Way to go Rebekah! These first two days of February have not gone well for me, but I'm hoping to get in a good workout tomorrow.

Kataroo said...

WAY TO GO!! and I love Genene Roth's books too :) Here's to another amazing month :)

Darcie said...

AWESOME JOB!!! Seriously so proud of you! What a way to make a plan, stick to it, and start to see results. Makes you want to try even harder, huh? Keep up the good work!

Margie said...

Very cool. I haven't done my pages for Jan yet (So wanting to do them!). Once I do, I will do my best to come on back and link up. Great idea - maybe it will help keep it on the top of the priority list.

Kara Monroe said...

So happy for you!

Mj said...

Lookin' awesome!!

Jen said...

I loved that you shared all of this. I'm moving more and eating less this year, too. I need to get my album going and join in your link party. Yea!

And great tip about the protein and the sweets craving/hair loss.

I haven't been posting/visiting blogs much but I'm so glad I stopped by. Best wishes to you for 2012!

Lani said...

So after reading that book... do you recommend it? It sounds fascinating. I've been meaning to give it a go.