Tuesday, November 1, 2011

OLW October Blog Hop, Mindfulness

Hello!
Welcome to the October OLW Blog Hop.
If you have arrived here from Monica's blog you are in the right place.
If you would like to start at the beginning, please head over to Margie's blog.
If you get lost along the way, there is a full participant list at the end of this post.

I'm back after a few month's hiatus!
I still haven't done the projects for July, August and September, but I aim to catch up after just jumping into October.  I've really missed joining in with this monthly blog hop.  I miss the connection with a great group of ladies!  Thank you Margie for being so faithful with this awesome blog community activity.


October 2011,

February 2011,
 Wow.  
What a neat project.  Without looking at the pictures I took in February of this year, I took my October photos.  
I wanted to see if there would be a difference in what I saw of my word through the camera lens.
There wasn't.
Do you see the same. common. theme. that I see?  
My morning view, 
bible reading, 
family time (games & poolside),
Project Life,
journaling and the passing of time, 
my mom (the hutch & now her photo), & 
yoga.  

That is so neat to see the same things carry through the year and still be at the center of my mindfulness project.  That means these things are the heart of what this OLW project is all about to me.  This is so amazing to me because I often see myself as very changeable and not sticking with things very long.  But all year, the mindfulness theme and the things that were/are important to me have stayed the same.   
Love it.

Here is the link to the post about February's photos.  Rereading it reminded me of a possible OLW for next year.  I'm looking forward to taking this journey again!
 
Some background info on my October photos,

Mindfulness view.  Every morning, I spend have some quiet time, and this little pillow I made is still in the same place.  I love the daily reminder of my OLW.
Yoga.  This continues to be a wonderful outlet for me.  It feels wonderful to go through the day feeling complete alignment from a wonderful morning yoga session.  And even on my non-yoga days, I find myself craving a few sun salutations.  It warms the body and mind.  I feel more focused and centered.  Mindful.  I recently discovered a new yoga site, Yogatic, after a friend told me about it.

Project Life.  I can't say enough good about this wonderful project.  It has really awakened my mind to the daily routine we call life in our home.  It's made me more aware of the daily things that I would otherwise take for granted.  It's made me more conscious that I really do want to document our life.  Not that it's anything special, but just having something to look back on years down the road.  To remind us of all the little, seemingly unimportant parts of our daily life.  Recipes.  Family outings.  Places we've been.  All of it.  I don't have any kind of record like that of my childhood.  I'm fine with that, but every once in awhile I find myself wondering something about my mom or dad or our daily life back then.  I remember a lot, but you know you can't remember everything.  And this project makes me feel like I'm making a dent in my scrapbooking hobby!

Mindfulness during the summer, peace signs and swimming pool relaxation.  I found myself capturing  a lot of peace signs from my kids.  It seems to be the trend lately with them.  They would sneak their peace sign fingers into an occasional photo all through the summer.  I liked it and continued to look for them!  It reminded me that peace in my life is what can be mine as I'm more mindful of what is really important to me. Things that I do each day.  Things I think about and allow myself to feed on.  It can all contribute or take away from my peace.  The kids and I also took purposeful breaks at our community pool.  We would run our errands in town and often have a picnic lunch so we could be at the pool when it opened at 1:00 in the afternoon.  It was a wonderful break from our normal summer activities.

My journal.  (A Log Your Memory book...they are awesome.  Just the right amount of space for my nightly journaling...another new thing for me this year that I've come to look forward to each night.)  I love that at the beginning of every week, it reminds me of what week # we are on.  This helps keep me mindful of time.  And that it continues to pass quickly.  8 more week to the end of this year.  Wow.

Running.  I must say, I've learned to love to run outdoors this summer.  I can't believe it.  I love to feel the wind.  I used to hate it.  I'm still not in love with hills, but I'm getting there.  I'm really going to miss it this winter, but I have my YakTrax and will head outdoors as much as I can.  Running is something that has really helped me learn about "mind over matter".

Death.  My mom died two years ago.  The intense sorrow of her death has faded, but I'm thankful I have many wonderful memories to think about today.  And many things will jog my memory of her. Recently, a mom of some very good friends died.  I didn't now her well at all, but her testimony has meant to much to me.  The effect of her life on others.  It's those traits that I want more of in my own life.  And my own mom had them too.  I won't go into them all here, but I can tell you they have helped keep me very mindful of the place I want to fill.  It's a big place, but I know where my help comes from to fill it.  And like I mentioned earlier about being changeable, I really, really want these goals to be reached and to stick to them.  Having them and then losing what we've gained isn't progress.  Nor is it proving God's power to help us change and stick with it.  I want to prove that.  It's been proved it others, and I'm thankful for those examples.

My bible.  I love to read it.  I love that every morning and evening, reading my bible helps me to be mindful of that place I want to fill.  It gives me encouragement and instruction to fill it.  I don't want to give up.

That's all for this month.  Thank you for stopping by!
*****************************************

November 1 OLW Blog Hop Participant List

Margie              http://xnomads.typepad.com/
Julie Ann            http://julieannshahin2.blogspot.com
Lisa                        http://backtoallen.com/writers_blog
Sam                        http://learncreatedo.wordpress.com
Jenn                        http://studiojenn.blogspot.com
Cheri                        http://cheriandrews.blogspot.com
Jan                        http://mysimplelittlelife.typepad.com
Debra                        http://blakleyhomeplace.blogspot.com
Nikki                        http://www.inkyart.com.au
Rebekah            http://istampscrapcraft.blogspot.com
Lynn                        http://crafty-creativity.blogspot.com
Amanda            http://scrappnbee.blogspot.com

15 comments:

505whimsygirl said...

Rebekah,

I really enjoyed this post. The photo comparisons from the months are interesting. You've opened my eyes to areas in my life that I need to change - or add to.

Thank you for sharing.

Kay

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

I too would love to have some idea of our everyday lives, when I was a young girl, which is probably one reason I blog. Interesting that the woman right before you on the list had pictures that showed a great change over the last eight months. I can see the power of remaining solid in a place and space in which you find peace.

Cheri said...

I'm guessing that the journaling and yoga and other things that you are involved in and have carried throughout the year are actually effectuating positive change in your life - change that is allowing you to be comfortable and at peace with where you are right now. How beautiful that you found the stability in the sameness.

ScrappnBee said...

Love this post and that you showed both the old and new 9 patch. I am definately thinking of tackling project life next year. I am glad that it is working well for you! Thanks for sharing your OLW!-Amanda

ScrappnBee said...

I think that I somehow lost my comment. Ooops! (2nd try). Love that you put both the Feb and Oct assignments in your post. Glad that you are enjoying Project life. I am contemplating trying it for 2012. Thanks for sharing your OLW -Amanda

~Michelle~ said...

Loved your post! :)

Jan B said...

I thought for a minute there you were going to be sad that things hadn't changed. But, I love how it all ties in with being mindful and sticking to what's important to you. That's so great and your pictures showed it perfectly! I so agree about the daily connection with God through His Word - that's where it all must begin for me. :) And that's cute about your kids sticking the peace sign into your photos. My youngest son went through a phase where he had to give "thumbs up" in every photo. It exasperated me at the time, but now, when I look back on those photos, it's pretty amusing!
Great post! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings...

ReInvent U said...

Welcome back to the hop! So cool that you included both sets of photos and great job in staying true to your word even though you don't see "real" progress!

Nikki said...

so good to have you back on the hop. I love your photos and that they have cemented the word for you this year - your post was a great read thank you xx

MonicaB said...

I'm so glad you joined us again. It's amazing how similar your photos are, you are really living your word!

Nihao, Cupcake! by Margie said...

That is so cool that you took this month's photos without looking back at your Feb photos. I love that you posted both collections for us to see. Now I need to go back and compare my two months. Thanks for the inspiration. And thanks for joining us again. I'm so glad you did. Great post.

Melissa said...

I love what you've done with this! WOW!!!

Darcie said...

Where would we be without our quiet time? I know this past week, was so crazy for me, and found myself in tears when I hadn't stopped for that time. I know I am needing just to find my new schedule, and realize that thankfully He understands...BUT..our quiet time keeps us in the busy time.

I did yoga about 3 years ago...LOVED it. The most relaxing thing ever. Really enjoyed this post, Rebekah.

learncreatedo said...

It's great how you captured what is important to you in both sets of photos and how they haven't changed. Mindfulness is on my list of possible words for next year. Oh and I'm also waiting on a delivery of my Project Life kit... hopefully it will be here before Jan 1.

Lynn said...

Glad you're back to hopping! Great post! Enjoyed your photos!