Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wednesday Soup Suppers

I love getting back into our Wednesday night soup suppers when autumn arrives.  Last evening we had Tomato-Cabbage Soup with this delicious Pumpkin Cornbread.  Mmmm-mm, comforting and good.  I used the last of our ripened garden fresh tomatoes.  With the chilly weather, it's doubtful we'll get anymore.  But I'm fine with that.  We certainly enjoy everything that's in season to the fullest.


Tomato-Cabbage Soup
Serving up the Harvest

2-3 Tbls olive oil
1 lb sweet or hot italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled (or I just buy it bulk; I used sweet)
1 small head cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes or 3 1/2 - 4 cups diced tomatoes (I used fresh tomatoes)
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin

Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a large stockpot.  Add the sausage and saute until completely browned, about 10 min, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.  Remove from pot with slotted spoon and set on a plate lined with paper towels.
If the soup pot is mostly dry, add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil.  Add the cabbage and onion and saute until golden, 8-10 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, broth and cumin.  Return the sausage to the pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, until the cabbage is completely tender and the flavors are well blended.
Taste and season with salt & pepper.  Serve hot.
*****************************************
Remember those goals I told you about. Well, I've been going slow with them and trying to embrace them fully.  But turns out, they are beginning to embrace me and it feels like a giant, friendly hug.  I'm just being super careful...and prayerful.  I've had goals and things laid on my heart before and failed miserably at keeping up with them.  I don't want to do that again.  Life is too short.  But the time we do have is full of opportunities to serve and love.
I want to do my part.

Autumn views around our yard,

Blazing Horse Chestnut tree,

We are suppose to have high winds this afternoon, so I'm glad I got a photo of this beautiful tree.  There will be a whole new beauty to it after the leaves all get blown off.
How do you survive the storms?
I want to have that inner beauty that only increases with each storm.


7 comments:

richardbreaks said...

Wow, that looks so yummy! I want to try that soup, but I REALLY want that cornbread recipe? DO you share that one??

Best-
Richard

Jane said...

the soup and the photos are very seasonal, autumn is my favourite time of year

Rebekah said...

@richard, click on Pumpkin Cornbread for a live link to the recipe I found online1

Janeen said...

Beautiful work on your blog Rebekah, We need to spend a day together so you can teach me how to have this kind of balance. it really draws your eye in. I love your pics. I will try that soup recipe. mmmm I love soup. we had chili last night, Gilbert says, Hon, you make THE BEST chili. :)

Patricia said...

Gorgeous pictures and yummy looking soup, Rebekah! I would LOVE to have some of your soup right now! (My toes are cold and they are not in flipflops!)

Misti said...

Gorgeous pictures! I still can't find mums in my area yet. Hopefully soon!

Melissa said...

Oh, yum!! :) Pumpkin cornbread? Sounds like a winner to me!! :) Your photos are fantastic! Perfect pictures of fall!!!